This is a light and refreshing salad that is quick and easy to make. A great side dish for barbecues, or serve with rice and dhal to add a burst of colour and flavour to your plate. If possible, let it sit a few hours before serving, so that all the flavours have a chance to marinate together.
- 1 kg carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 bunch fresh mint, picked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons currants
- Zest from one lemon
- Juice, from one lemon
- 1–1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1–1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and toss well. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
We’ve eaten this salad the next day with other leftovers and its fine – the lemon and salt start to ‘cook’ and soften the carrot though and this salad is definitely at it’s best a few hours after it’s made.
Keywords: grated carrot salad, carrot and mint salad, easy vegan carrot salad