Red lentils are easy to cook but packed with protein, iron, fibre and B vitamins. If you are new to plant based diets or new to cooking then this is a great recipe for both beginners and more experienced cooks. Serve with a green salad and basmati rice.
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- 3 cups of water
- oil for cooking
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 large white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 de-seeded green chilli, finely minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- juice from half a lemon
- Fresh coriander, picked and chopped
- Cook 1 cup of red lentils with 3 cups of water on a medium heat for 20 mins.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet pan on a medium heat and fry cumin seeds and cinnamon stick for 60-90 seconds until fragrant.
- Add 1 large diced onion, 1 minced green chilli, 4 cloves minced garlic and a thumb sized piece of grated ginger. Cook for 4-5 mins until the onions are translucent.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1 tsp salt and 1 medium diced tomato to the pan. Cook for 2-3 mins until the tomato starts to fall apart and then discard the cinnamon stick.
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain off any excess water, stir in the onion mixture and juice from half a lemon. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve immediately.
Keywords: vegan recipes, vegan lentil recipes, red lentil recipes