Lentils are a powerhouse of protein. Our simple lentil recipe is perfect for those new to cooking lentils or new to cooking in general! This dish is quick & easy to prepare but still has laods of flavour. We used one chilli for a mildly spicy dish, but you can add more chilli to turn up the heat if you prefer. Serve with basmati rice and a green salad.
- 2 cloves of garlic – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 thumb-size piece of ginger – peeled and finely grated
- 1 green chilli – seeds removed and finely sliced
- 1 red onion – peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 200 g uncooked green lentils
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp oil for cooking
- salt & pepper
- Place a pan on a medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of oil, then the garlic, ginger, chilli and red onion. saute for 3-5 mins until starting to soften.
- Add ground cumin and ground coriander. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add 200 g lentils, 400 ml coconut milk and 400 ml of veg stock.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 25-30 mins.
- When the lentils are cooked, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Keywords: vegan food, easy vegan recipes, lentil recipes